Tour Type:Escorted Coach Tours USA
Tour Activity:Discover all America
Tour Region: Across all USA, Great Lakes Region, Midwest and Great Plains Region, Pacific Region (includes Hawaii and Alaska), Southwest Region
Tour InformationThe Route 66 tour begins in Chicago and ends in Los Angeles.
It’s all about the journey as we hit this famous highway from Chicago to L.A. Known as the Main Street of America, the stops on this ‘bucket list’ experience reveal classic Americana. It’s Insider moments like: Racing to make the best barbecue sauce from the spices on your picnic table before two local families, real barbecue championship winners, vote which is best. A true American ‘pit master’ serves downhome dishes, from pulled pork to St Louis-style ribs. It’s also visiting The Hill in St Louis, where our Midwest friend shows you his Italian neighbourhood and teaches you bocce. And it’s meeting first responders and survivors from the 1995 Oklahoma tragedy, who recount stories of that fateful day.
Sep 26 and Oct 3 Departures - Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta: be part of the greatest show in the air joining this special departure to the International Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque.
Please view itinerary description below.
Welcome to the starting point of Route 66! Get settled in at The Palmer House, an Authentic Accommodation, and the nation’s oldest continually operating hotel. Hosting entertainers such as Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland, this elegant hotel became an epicenter for entertainment in the early 1900s. Spend the afternoon exploring the grounds, relaxing from your travels or head outdoors to get acquainted with the city of Chicago. At 6 p.m., gather at the hotel with your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception.
CHICAGO - SPRINGFIELD - ST. LOUIS
After an introduction to the Windy City, including elegant Lakeshore Drive and the Magnificent Mile, hit the road for a good, old-fashioned American road trip. Just outside Chicago, see several of Route 66's original gas stations. Explore the history and cultural impact of America's Mother Road at the Route 66 Association Hall of Fame & Museum. Roll on southwest to Springfield, on the way to St. Louis, the Gateway to the West.
ST. LOUIS SIGHTSEEING
Get ready for a real taste of America's Midwest today, starting with the view from atop the famed St. Louis Gateway Arch. Head to "The Hill" and learn about St. Ambrose Church, the history of the Italian Immigrants and why they came and stayed in St. Louis. This Unique Insight introduces you to wonderful Italian markets and the ancient game of Bocce. Afterward, experience another American favourite with a guided tour of the Anheuser-Busch Brewery—from the stables of the Clydesdales to the tasting room—and enjoy a taste of this Local Speciality as well. And what goes better with beer than barbecue? Learn to mix up your own sweet and spicy sauce with a team of master BBQ chefs and enjoy a rib-sticking Be My Guest dinner, hot off the grill.
ST LOUIS - MERAMEC CAVERNS - BRANSON
Begin your day by crossing the Mississippi River via the Chain of Rocks Bridge, named for the rocks that made crossing the river so rough before the bridge was built in the 1960s. As you near the middle, keep your eyes peeled for the bridge's most notable feature, a 22-degree bend. Go underground in Meramec Caverns, a former hideout of Jesse James, for a glimpse of some outstanding subterranean formations. Then it's onward to the Ozarks and the lively American musical mecca of Branson. Explore Branson Landing, a shopping, dining and entertainment hub on the shores of Lake Taneycomo. Tonight, perhaps get your kicks at an optional dinner show.
BRANSON - WILL ROGERS MEMORIAL - OKLAHOMA CITY
Roll on through historic Joplin, Missouri into eastern Oklahoma, an especially scenic stretch of highway known as the Will Rogers Highway. Stop to visit the Will Rogers Museum dedicated to the famous American humorist who once said "I never met a man I didn't like." See more classics of the Old Road such as the Round Barn in Arcadia, Oklahoma. Tonight, enjoy a Highlight Dinner in the vibrant warehouse district of Bricktown.
OKLAHOMA CITY SIGHTSEEING & FREE TIME
Get a taste of the Old West at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum with its collection of Native American art and outstanding display of antique firearms. After lunch, visit the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, honouring the 1995 bombing victims. The rest of the day is yours to explore historic Bricktown.
OKLAHOMA CITY - ROUTE 66 MUSEUM - AMARILLO
In Clinton, explore a classic collection of Route 66 history, memorabilia and culture. Crossing into the Texas Panhandle, return to Old Route 66 for a scenic drive before stopping at Amarillo, the "yellow rose of Texas."
AMARILLO - ALBUQUERQUE
Yes, those are 10 classic Cadillacs buried nose down in the dirt, the famed Cadillac Ranch pop art installation just outside Amarillo. Stop in Tucumcari, where a large number of the vintage motels and restaurants built in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s are still in existence. Travel on to Albuquerque where the spirit of Route 66 still thrives. Take a walking tour of Old Town and see the old adobe architecture with a Local Expert. Tonight, don your poodle skirt or leather jacket for a dinner at the 66 Diner with its 1950s jukebox and blue-plate specials that have hardly changed since the heyday of the "Main Street of America."
ALBUQUERQUE SIGHTSEEING & FREE TIME
While Albuquerque didn't boom until the coming of Route 66, the city existed for more than 300 years. Enjoy the day exploring on your own. Visit one of the many museums, relax in a cafe or perhaps opt to visit southwestern arts-filled Santa Fe.
ALBUQUERQUE - FLAGSTAFF
Cruise through Gallup this morning and see the history of Route 66 on the main drag. See the Historic El Rancho hotel, which served as a home base to the movie stars who came to the desert for their films. Crossing into Arizona, watch the sun play over the changing colours of the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Park. See the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook and the Man Standing on the Corner in Winslow before arriving in Flagstaff with its quaint downtown and pine-forested hills.
FLAGSTAFF - CAMERON TRADING POST - GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK
As the morning sun gilds the desert landscape, visit the traditional land of the Navajo people. Stop at Cameron Trading Post to browse through handicrafts and maybe enjoy some tasty fry bread. This afternoon, wind along scenic Desert View Drive before arriving at the Grand Canyon. Spend the night inside the park, allowing plenty of time to explore this natural world wonder.
GRAND CANYON - SELIGMAN - KINGMAN - LAS VEGAS
Hit the road again, passing through Seligman then Peach Springs, the town that was the inspiration for the Pixar movie Cars. Then drive through Hackberry, a Route 66 ghost town along the original route. Further ahead, stop in Kingman, a Route 66 hotspot that has kept the old culture alive. Driving the Mother Road in these desert oases is like time travelling to see the well-preserved motels, diners and gas stations of a simpler era. Then it's full speed ahead to glittering Las Vegas. The afternoon and evening are yours to hit the Strip, catch a show or try your luck at the slots.
LAS VEGAS - HOLLYWOOD - LOS ANGELES
Travel from Sin City to the City of Angels today, with one last jaunt on Route 66 near the town of Barstow. Upon arrival in Los Angeles, see the sights, including Grauman's Chinese Theater, Beverly Hills, Sunset Boulevard and the place where the road comes to an end, Santa Monica and the great Pacific. This evening, celebrate your journey at a festive Farewell Dinner.
DEPART LOS ANGELES
Say good-bye to the road and take flight after a complimentary transfer to Los Angeles International Airport. You may wish to extend your stay in L.A. at The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites.
Prices, Dates and Conditions
|DEPARTURES 2015||DEPARTURES 2016||PRICE FROM|
|MAY 16, 23||MAY 15, 22||1978|
|JUNE 13||JUNE 12||1978|
|JULY 18||JULY 17, 31||1978|
|AUG 1, 15||-||1978|
|SEP 12, 19||SEP 11, 18||1978|
|SEP 26 (BALOON FIESTA)||SEP 25 (BALOON FIESTA)||2111|
|OCT 3 (BALOON FIESTA)||OCT 1 (BALOON FIESTA)||2111|
YOUR ESCORTED MOTORCOACH TOUR INCLUDES
- Services of a professional Tour Manager throughout
- Deluxe air-conditioned motorcoach with onboard restroom facilities
- Hotel accommodations as specified or similar
- Sightseeing as specified
- Hotel taxes; service charges; and baggage (one suitcase per person)
- Albuquerque: Spend two nights in this major Route 66 outpost; enjoy a walking tour of Old Town
- Amarillo: See iconic Cadillac Ranch, one of America's most striking outdoor art installations
- Branson: Kick your heels up in an all-American musical extravaganza destination
- Chicago: Enjoy an orientation tour of this beautiful lakefront city
- Clinton: Stroll through decades of history and culture at the Route 66 Museum
- Flagstaff: See the charming historic downtown and the world's largest Ponderosa Pine forest
- Grand Canyon National Park: Travel along the canyon's Desert View Drive
- Las Vegas: Visit the "Entertainment Capital of the World"
- Los Angeles: Enjoy an orientation tour of this exciting city
- Meramec Caverns: Explore the one-time hideaway of legendary Jesse James
- Oklahoma City: Visit the Oklahoma City National Memorial and the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum
- Petrified Forest National Park: Wonder at this ancient desert landscape
- Pontiac: Visit the Route 66 Association Hall of Fame & Museum
- St. Louis: See the city's famous Gateway Arch; take a guided tour of the Anheuser-Busch Brewery; explore the Italian side of the city
- Tulsa: Visit the Will Rogers Memorial Museum
- 5 evening meals:
Be My Guest dinner with drinks in St. Louis
2 three-course dinners
Farewell Dinner with wine in Los Angeles
Regional Meal with wine in Oklahoma City
- 13 full breakfasts
- Welcome Reception with light appetisers
- Airport transfers are provided on the first and last day of your guided trip
- Complimentary keepsake photo and map
- Authentic Accommodation: The Palmer House, in Chicago, houses the largest collection of impressionist art outside of France and is an entertainment epicenter having hosted legendary performers
- Be My Guest: Be the guests of master barbecue chefs for an outdoor feast of traditional American barbecue
- Hidden Treasure: Enjoy at least one surprise Hidden Treasure experience, unique to your itinerary, courtesy of your expert Travel Director
- Local Expert: Take a walking tour of Old Town Albuquerque
- Local Speciality: Tour the Anheuser-Busch brewery and sample the beer
- Unique Insight: Visit "The Hill," where Italian Immigrants came and settled in St. Louis and learn about Bocce and even try your hand at a few frames of the game
- Unique Insight: Hear from people whose stories allow you to experience history and the Oklahoma Standard from those who lived it during the fateful bombing tragedy of 1995. Speakers include family members, survivors, first responders, journalists, judges, FBI agents, and others directly impacted by the bombing or involved in the investigation and trials
|1||Chicago||The Palmer House Hilton|
|2-3||St Louis||Omni Majestic Hotel|
|4||Branson||Hilton Promenade at Branson Landing|
|5-6||Oklahoma City||Courtyard Oklahoma City Downtown|
|7||Amarillo||Holiday Inn West|
|8-9||Albuquerque||Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown Hotel|
|10||Flagstaff||Doubletree Woodlands Hotel|
|11||Grand Canyon||National Park Lodges|
|12||Las Vegas||Paris Las Vegas|
|13||Los Angeles||The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites|
PRE & POST HOTELS
PRE: Chicago, The Palmer House Hilton
POST: Los Angeles, The Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
SEP 26 AND OCT 3 DEPARTURES WITH ALBUQUERQUE BALOON FIESTA
Description of Day 9 - ALBUQUERQUE BALLOON FIESTA
Rise early to watch the greatest show in the air. Gaze in wonder as hundreds of brightly coloured hot air balloons rise into the clear blue autumn sky. You'll enjoy this once and a lifetime experience in the exclusive Chasers' Club featuring guaranteed private seating, deluxe views of the launch and hot food! Gather again this evening for the spectacular Balloon Glow where all the balloons light their burners in unison to illuminate the night sky. Conclude your day with a bang at the After Glow fireworks show!